Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

Topic Tools
Old February 20th, 2020, 05:33 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Seagoon View Post
An interesting read, it's telling us what most computer users already know, it doesn't show anything about folks' who use older PC Os's who have experienced such problems nor have you shown any such thing, why is that? This forum has sections for all older operating systems, most likely because those systems are still used by folks. I don't recall anyone asking about problems about their computer being hacked into, and like I mentioned in my previous post, I don't recall ever reading elsewhere about anyone ever being hacked because their OS is older. As far as I know, most hackers prefer to try their nasty projects on the latest hardware/software simply because they are the ones most people use.

Old February 20th, 2020, 06:46 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Interesting you mentioning older operating systems, up until I left work some years ago we had several laptops running DOS 3.3 with a customised application installed, they were used to log, calibrate and reset parameters on some radio communications equipment, but that's all they were used for and they were never used on line. Worked perfectly.

The only problem with using unsupported software is that it does contain vulnerabilities that have not been patched. The hackers are not the problem, the problems are the infected machines that release viruses and worms that seek out these vulnerabilities. The unsupported machine is at risk whenever there is an infected machine anywhere on a network to which the machine is connected, and if that network is the internet, the infected machine could be anywhere.

Just ask Jintan, he's the bloke here who has the job of cleaning infected machines. And with respect, just because you have not heard of anyone having a problem doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Old February 21st, 2020, 06:09 PM

Smile

lol you mean Wendi. She is actually my daughter and she is fine.
Old February 21st, 2020, 06:15 PM

Oh I used to live on this site and learned and helped as much as I could because I was really into learning and solving problems. Like I said I still have an ancient old XP that works great. I do get on it occasionally if this one breaks down and I need to go hunting for a solution. I just have not kept up lately though so don't know what I really need as for as not choking down to a crawl when running 8 cameras along with FB games
Old February 21st, 2020, 06:20 PM

Smile

Quote:
Interesting you mentioning older operating systems, up until I left work some years ago we had several laptops running DOS 3.3 with a customised application installed, they were used to log, calibrate and reset parameters on some radio communications equipment, but that's all they were used for and they were never used on line. Worked perfectly.

The only problem with using unsupported software is that it does contain vulnerabilities that have not been patched. The hackers are not the problem, the problems are the infected machines that release viruses and worms that seek out these vulnerabilities. The unsupported machine is at risk whenever there is an infected machine anywhere on a network to which the machine is connected, and if that network is the internet, the infected machine could be anywhere.

Just ask Jintan, he's the bloke here who has the job of cleaning infected machines. And with respect, just because you have not heard of anyone having a problem doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Knock on wood I been running AVG for a hundred years and think I only got a virus once way back when I first started using a computer. I've had more trouble with malware. I'm very cautious about what I click on and open and that's the only thing that concerns me is the security updates running an unsupported Win. With my XP I just use it for searching mostly if this one goes down.
Old February 22nd, 2020, 06:51 PM

I don't like the D drive sitting sideways but how about this one. Just kinda leery of used ones. https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex...ustomerReviews
Old February 23rd, 2020, 11:27 PM

Idnew,

This is Ensign Tzap.
I hang out in the Hardware Forum mostly.
But I swing down here from time to time. too see what is the current chatter.

Could you please post your current systems spec's.
If you don't know, you can get Speccy: https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download
Run it on your system to get all the technical Spec's and paste them here.

This way I, and the others, can have some idea as to what sort of new computer would suit you best.
And maybe see if all you need to do is too maximize its memory.

Also, if your going to run in to compatibility problems with the camera system that is connected to it.
Plus, the software needed to run the camera system, is it compatible with Windows 10.

Signed: Ensign Tzap
Old February 24th, 2020, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Tzap View Post
Idnew,

This is Ensign Tzap.
I hang out in the Hardware Forum mostly.
But I swing down here from time to time. too see what is the current chatter.

Could you please post your current systems spec's.
If you don't know, you can get Speccy: https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download
Run it on your system to get all the technical Spec's and paste them here.

This way I, and the others, can have some idea as to what sort of new computer would suit you best.
And maybe see if all you need to do is too maximize its memory.

Also, if your going to run in to compatibility problems with the camera system that is connected to it.
Plus, the software needed to run the camera system, is it compatible with Windows 10.

hmmm I used to run CCleaner all the time then somebody said it wasn't any good. Ok not sure what you want but that's neat. Not sure what you want but this is summary

Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 32-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Pentium D
Presler 65nm Technology
RAM
3.00GB
Motherboard
LakePort (Socket 775)
%1 Chipset
Graphics
F24 (1280x1024@75Hz)
Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family (Intel)
Storage
465GB WL500GSA3272 ATA Device (SATA ) 32 °C
14GB SanDisk Cruzer Glide USB Device (USB )
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224BB ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
Old February 24th, 2020, 05:51 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Jintan and most of the others who help "fix" computers, also help "fix" computers that are the newest/latest and kept up to date with security updates etc. You make it sound like the newest computers cannot be hacked into, which is totally wrong. From seeing the help that Jintan and others give, I don't remember any of the "helpers" telling folks that they need to stop using the older OS software, and buy the latest versions. They appear to be "happy" in helping those asking for it. Another thing with regards to anyone having problems and asking for help here at CTH, there's hundreds of other "places" that folks go to for help. There's hundreds of other companies or businesses that tell us we should bee updating our software, and yet like I said previously, they don't give us examples.
Old February 24th, 2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
hmmm I used to run CCleaner all the time then somebody said it wasn't any good. Ok not sure what you want but that's neat. Not sure what you want but this is summary
CCleaner is still a good Cleaning aid for your computer.
Only, since it was taken over by Avast.
There are a lot of annoying features that have been added, that a lot of people did not like.
Thus, people went to other file and registry cleaning applications.

Quote:
Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 32-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Pentium D
Presler 65nm Technology
RAM
3.00GB
Motherboard
LakePort (Socket 775)
%1 Chipset
Graphics
F24 (1280x1024@75Hz)
Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family (Intel)
Storage
465GB WL500GSA3272 ATA Device (SATA ) 32 °C
14GB SanDisk Cruzer Glide USB Device (USB )
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224BB ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
Thanks, this helps.

Well.....

1)Your running Windows 7 32-Bit SP1 Version.
Which is limited the amount of Ram you can physical use.
{3.2 GB}

2)Your Intel Processor, {If I'm reading this right}

It can run in 64-bit mode.

3)Ram amount is to low for what your doing.
{3.00 GB isn't enough}

Recommendations:

You should convert Windows 7 Professional 32-bit SP1 to the 64-bit version.
NOTE: Check and see if current software you are using has a 64-bit Version, or will still be able to run under the Windows 64-bit OS.

Next:

Upgrade The Physical Memory.
Your going to need to get DDR2 type memory.

Get out your MotherBoard Manual, and check what is the Maximum Amount of Memory the MotherBoard will take.
{From what I read on this Processor & Chipset, 8Gb is the Maximum.}

DDR2 Memory Sticks are still out there, But price can very.
So, check around.

I hope this was helpful too you.

Nothing worse than throwing out a perfectly good working system that just needs a little help.

Old February 24th, 2020, 11:28 PM

No idea where the book on MB is. Really it will run 64 how do I do that? Oh I wasn't going to toss it, I'll just keep it as back up. I build this one just to see if I could but I have not kept up with anything since except to install 7 on it. I think I had extra DDR2 and tried to install them at the time. Can't remember the issue. This pc is about 10yrs old and has given me very little trouble. If I don't run the cameras then it's pretty good. So I'll just look for a newer one with the what is it? Something new that replaces HD. I do appreciate your input
Old February 24th, 2020, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufbra View Post
Jintan and most of the others who help "fix" computers, also help "fix" computers that are the newest/latest and kept up to date with security updates etc. You make it sound like the newest computers cannot be hacked into, which is totally wrong. From seeing the help that Jintan and others give, I don't remember any of the "helpers" telling folks that they need to stop using the older OS software, and buy the latest versions. They appear to be "happy" in helping those asking for it. Another thing with regards to anyone having problems and asking for help here at CTH, there's hundreds of other "places" that folks go to for help. There's hundreds of other companies or businesses that tell us we should bee updating our software, and yet like I said previously, they don't give us examples.

What's with the double quotes? Having a bad day?

Again just because you have not heard of something, does not make your opinion valid, I think these people at https://tinyurl.com/st48kba have hit the nail on the head.

Last edited by Ned Seagoon; February 25th, 2020 at 12:56 AM.
Old February 25th, 2020, 04:15 PM

I am die hard on changing anything that is working for me. Mustered up all the courage to upgrade from 98 to XP then from XP to 7 never wanted to try 8 heard too much really bad on it and now not sure about 10. Had Vista on another one and put 7 on it about 6 months ago. I got three computers up and running. Don't ask me why. But only one main one which is now not serving me well. Asked someone what is difference in a gaming pc and regular, they said like taking a porche to the grocery store instead of the station wagon. So still not quite sure if that means the gaming one is better but has the speed I need.
Old February 25th, 2020, 09:26 PM

Idnew,

Here is a page from ComputerHope.com: https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001401.htm
This will help you find out if your processor, is a actual 64-bit processor.
Plus, it has instructions as to how you can convert over to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Operating System.

Old February 26th, 2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnew View Post
I am die hard on (not) changing anything that is working for me.
Yes a good policy, however in my opinion XP was a brilliant operating system, the ones that came after it were not as good, except Win7 was not too bad. However again in my opinion Win10 is excellent (even better than XP), and a very safe system without as many of the overheads that slowed down some of it's predecessors.

Give it a go, once you familiarise yourself with it, I'm sure you'll agree.