Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old February 16th, 2013, 05:19 PM

Question Beer/Soda Can Wifi Booster - No Antennae

My dual modem/router does not have a visible antennae. Does anyone know if there is still a way to boost the wifi signal using the beer/soda can method?

Old February 16th, 2013, 10:15 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
I've read about it but never tried it. I use a router with no antenna and have a good signal, a couple of things to try:

Change the Channel; Like radio stations, wireless routers can broadcast on a number of different channels. When you and half the neighborhood are on the same channel, it causes a lot of static.
This shouldn't be a problem if your router features automatic channel selection. If it doesn't, tune in a channel with less interference. Consult your router's manual for quick assistance in changing router channels.

Depending on your router, newer routers use the 5 GHz frequency that reduces interference from 2.4 Ghz cordless phones, garage door openers, other common wireless gadgets. Even microwaves emit a strong signal in the 2.4 Ghz range.

Supposedly the beer can trick can increase signal strength by two bars or more, I don't know.

No antenna routers work best in the open, not hidden, higher location rather than the floor is always better.

You can add a wireless repeater

You could also try shield and redirect the signal. Get some cardboard and aluminum foil and make a contraption around the router that shields the signal in all directions, but where you want it. For example, if your router is upstairs and the other equipment is downstairs, shield the top bottom and sides, but leave the area around the router pointing down wards open. Note: this will hinder reception in all other areas though
Old February 17th, 2013, 02:59 AM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
I always heard pringles cans works better.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5888080_home...i-booster.html