Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Topic Tools
Old March 3rd, 2012, 01:47 AM

Question Word Document Opens with Markup

I am using Word for Mac on my Macbook Pro with Lion. Everytime I open a particular document in Word, the view shows Markups, which is really distracting. I can go to View, and get rid of the markup view, but then it shows up again each time I open the document.

Also, each time I open Word, every document I have worked on in the last few months opens, too. I close each document individually, using File - Close, which I thought would take care of it. But it doesn't, and all these documents open, instead of just the one document I want open.

Thanks for any help.

Old March 4th, 2012, 02:35 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
View> Markup being active is the default for all documents. However, the
space on the right unless Track Changes and/or Comments have been used & the Preference is set for "Use balloons to display changes". You can turn the Markup off then make some sort of change in the file before saving/closing the setting should be retained when you next open the file.

However, if you turn Track Changes of/on or insert a new Comment the Markup will be displayed again automatically. it is a 'security/privacy' feature intended to help avoid forwarding of documents that contain changes or comments that might present a problem if disclosed to the recipient or other user.

If you turn Track Changes OFF then Accept/Reject all changes & delete the
Comments the extra width will go away.
Old March 4th, 2012, 11:43 PM

Thanks, that did work!

Now how do I keep old documents I have worked on from popping up every time I start Word?
Old March 5th, 2012, 01:32 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
The Disable Hidden Markup option
Word Security options allow you to hide tracked changes when opening a document containing them. However, even if you clear this check box, the tracked changes are still in the document and can be revealed by selecting the type of markup on the Show Markup menu. These settings affect your machine only; other users opening the document will automatically see all changes.

To enable / disable making hidden markup visible when opening or saving:

1. Click on File | Options
2. Click the Trust Center tab | Trust Center Settings... A Trust Center window will pop up
3. Click the Privacy Options tab and under the Document-specific settings section, tick or untick the Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving check box