Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

Topic Tools
Old September 12th, 2019, 06:02 PM

Problem with Google Images

Using any browser on my PC, until recently, Google Images allowed searches for pix of a minimum file size, like 4mb, or an exact size, like 1500 x 1000. Pick a famous object like the Eiffel Tower, select a minimum or custom size, and you can get it.

Also, if you picked a named person you could filter out pictures that weren't headshots or closeups by selecting face as type.

Also, if you want to see the size of the pic before clicking, there was a tool for that.

All that has gone away. You can pick "any size" or medium or large with no specifics about what that means. Type is restricted to clip art and line drawing. Size no longer appears.

What gives? Why is Google worse than it was before?

Note: lots of apps, sites, and PC software is less than it used to be. I don't understand that phenomenon.

Old September 13th, 2019, 01:05 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Its called AD $$$$$$ Google getting to be money hungry, was was free no longer is. That is why Larry Page and Sergey have a net worth of more than $100 billion. They are more interested in "AD CLICKS" then giving us those free tools they use to.

Google constantly targets random users with experimental variations to the Search and Image Search interfaces. Sometimes the differences are barely noticeable. Other variations are much more noticeable.

You're probably seeing one of these experiments. You could try clearing cache and cookies but, if that doesn't help, there's nothing you can do but wait until Google thinks you've had enough and releases you from the experiment!
Old September 20th, 2019, 07:19 PM

I tried cleaning up and it didn't help. I will try with my laptop at another location to see if it has to do with my IP.

Was thinking of a VPN anyway.
Old October 4th, 2019, 04:43 PM

The problem is solved, but not happily. Most of the filters now exist only at "advanced search" meaning extra and not obvious steps. The option to see the dimensions of all matching pics is now gone, though you can still get it for a picture that you select and click on for deeper review.

So you can still find the kinds of pics of the Eiffel Tower or Clark Gable that you like if you are willing to put up with the extra hassle.
Old October 13th, 2019, 04:30 AM

O/S: Linux
The answer to this is to change your search engine to either duckduckgo or start page both of these engines do NOT track you and usually keep to the search criteria
Old Yesterday, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
The answer to this is to change your search engine to either duckduckgo or start page both of these engines do NOT track you and usually keep to the search criteria
Startpage.com is interesting because of privacy, but you cannot filter the results by the type of image nor can you limit the date of results, so a photo search can yield anything.

DuckDuckGo allows only search by general size -- S, M, or L, not minimum size or exact size -- and it too has no control for date of results.

And if either one has a reverse search, it is not apparent.

Sometimes less is more. Not on this occasion.
Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM

O/S: Linux
OK I am out of options.