Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old April 2nd, 2020, 04:28 PM

Displayport?

I recently noted the presence of a Displayport on my HP Elitebook2560p.

I surfed it and saw that it is supposed to be an alternate to USB-C, but I have never seen peripherals or other accoutrements that have Displayport connections, nor have I seen Displayport cables, not that I was looking.

Is this tech still in use, or has it gone the way of FireWire? If yes, what is available for it?

Thanks.

Old April 3rd, 2020, 03:54 PM

Did you try our friends Bing Google for "displayport"?

It is not an alternative to USB-C. USB-C can (on some systems) used as an alternative to DisplayPort.

The bottom and basic line is DisplayPort is a very common method of connecting a monitor to a computer.
Old April 6th, 2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
Did you try our friends Bing Google for "displayport"?

It is not an alternative to USB-C. USB-C can (on some systems) used as an alternative to DisplayPort.

The bottom and basic line is DisplayPort is a very common method of connecting a monitor to a computer.
Yes. What I saw compared the items as alternatives. https://www.displayport.org/displayport-over-usb-c/

It may be common but I have not seen such a connection on any of the monitors or tvs that I own, most bought after the 2008 rollout of Displayport.
Old April 6th, 2020, 10:42 PM

Okay but USB-C has only been out a couple years so no way was DisplayPort designed to be an alternative to USB-C.

But the point is lots (if not most) current graphics cards support DisplayPort, as do most current motherboards that support integrated graphics. And while I cannot speak for TVs, most current computer monitors certainly support DisplayPort these days too.

USB-C, on the other hand, is becoming more and more popular on newer notebooks as they are used to support external monitors. This is due in large part because USB-C ports are smaller and making notebooks thinner and lighter is always an ultimate goal for notebook makers. Plus, it is cheaper to have two USB-C ports on a device than it is to have 1 USB-C and 1 HDMI - not just in the design and manufacturing, but also in the logistics to have two different interfaces in the supply and inventory chain.

Last edited by Digerati; April 7th, 2020 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Fixed a couple minor typos and added content to last paragraph.