Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old April 9th, 2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieladdison
if you want some good advice to how to keep your computer update then you contact with some experienced technical online computer support team member .
You have just two posts on CTH and both are telling people to seek help elsewhere. Some may consider a brand new member to the site telling others to seek advice elsewhere silly and inappropriate, if not insulting! ??? This site has many experienced technical online computer support team members providing excellent advice on keeping our computers updated, working properly, and secured and you are suggesting quality help cannot be found here. That is totally wrong.

@Madge2 - The best advice is to read your owner's manual. The common advice given in the past may no longer be applicable. The manual for my fairly new Toshiba, for example, warns about leaving the charger connected for an extended period only when charging a brand new battery for the very first time - suggesting you deep cycle it a couple times when new to ensure it will take a full charge from then on. The only other warning says if you regularly leave the charger connected for a week, you should deep discharge then charge it again every so often to ensure full capacity is maintained and to allow proper monitoring.

The only other cautions deals with features. For example, "wake on LAN" (often used for off-time scanning and backups) is not available when on battery, so leaving the charger connected is actually necessary if such features are needed when the notebook is not in use.

Many notebooks allow for USB charging of other devices (such as cell phones and PDAs) when the notebook is sleeping, AND connected to the adapter. So again, we have a provided feature that needs the charger connected.

There are several different battery technologies used in today's notebooks, and none suffer from "memory issue" extremes of early-technology rechargeable batteries. So again, read the manual for your particular notebook. You should be able to download a copy of the manual, if your printed copy cannot be found.

If you have a notebook that is constantly connected to the AC adapter, then maybe the best long term solution is to replace the notebook with a desktop.

Edit add - I see Murf beat me to it while I was slow to type.

Last edited by Digerati; April 9th, 2013 at 05:46 PM.

Old April 10th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Spammer deleted.
Old April 14th, 2013, 06:02 PM

Can I take my raincoat off now? is the pissing contest over yet? Here's something to gnaw on... I have a 6 year old Toshiba laptop that I've left plugged in the whole time I've owned it. The only time it ever runs on the battery is when the power goes out. I still get about 4 hours running time on the battery. (which is what it got brand new)