Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012

Notices

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old August 4th, 2006, 07:39 PM

Desperate For Help!

I have the trojan "Win32.QHost.DF" and I've tried pretty much everything to get rid of it. Nothing has worked.

Now I want to format my hard drive and reload my operating system (Windows 2000), but Windows won't let me. I keep getting BS "protect you from yourself" warnings, but I don't know how to defeat them.

HOW can I format my hard drive? I desperately want this to be over!

Old August 5th, 2006, 03:51 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Firt this what type of computer is this? "Dell, Compaq, ect" Next how are you trying to wipe the drive? Are you using the Windows 2k install cd?
Old August 5th, 2006, 07:24 AM

My computer is a Dell notebook. Under "Start >> Settings >> Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Computer Management >> System Information >> System Summary" is revealed (typed as appears, with colons separating fields; things seeming obviously irrelevant have been omitted):

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Version: 5.00.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: Inspiron 4000
System Type: X86-based PC
Processor: x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~902Mhz
BIOS Version: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A23
Windows Directory: C:\WINNT
Total Physical Memory: 392,604 KB
Available Physical Memory: 125,648 KB
Total Virtual Memory: 1,333,308 KB
Available Virtual Memory: 765,072 KB
Page File Space: 940,704 KB

I use a "3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)" modem and ADSL Internet service.

I tried using Eraser 5.6 to wipe the drive, but all it wanted to erase is the empty space. Now it looks different; I'll post again as I am able.
Old August 5th, 2006, 03:49 PM
CTH Subscriber

Do you have a windows 2k install cd at all? This would make things much easier as you can use it for the format and install and it will create its own partition as well. HERE is a step by step on installing 2k from the install cd. If you do it this way just be aware that since you already have a partition setup for Windows you will see it listed in setup when it shows partitions just leave it highlited and go on with the install it will format and overwrite the partition to install Windows on it cleanly.
Old August 6th, 2006, 04:19 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

If you have not yet made too many changes to your system to re-decide on reformatting wireflight, the information you posted in your request here shows a Wareout infection aboard there, and perhaps a bit more. We should be able to clear that up handily, but it will require you to commit to completing the necessary repairs. Post back which course you plan to take and we'll go foward from there.
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:06 PM

this may sound stupid, but i don't know what a Wareout infection is. i tried re-running several of the recommended cleanup tools again, in the following order, with the following results:

Spyware Doctor; 0% (terminated when Task Manager said it was not responding); found "Adlogix Browser Hijacker"

Easy SpyRemover V2.6; found "explorer_d" and "explorer_y" and with "IRCbot.worm.gen" -- indicating each is a "Worm." Easy SpyRemover V2.6 also found 9 "Spyware" programs, 2 "Malware" programs of indeterminate type, and 19 "Cookies" associated with malware.

Windows CleanUp indicates "Files Deleted: 543, Bytes Freed: 19.9 MB; After 0 Runs, Bytes Freed: 0.0 KB" -- the programs stops almost as soon as it is started, and the following warning appears:

"Dr Watson Fatal Error

Dr. Watson was unable to attach to the process. It is possible that process exited before Dr. Watson could attach to it.

Windows 2000 returned error code = 2
The system cannot find the file specified."

At that time, the computer had to be rebooted: it was "locked up."

I ran Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4, which found and fixed 18 problems (the names of which I wrote down, in case that's important). The scan took 51 hours and 37 minutes.

ewido anti-spyware was run, and it found "Downloader.Agent.uj" along with a host of other files the identities of which I did not record. The ewido anti-spyware program terminated before completion, with the message "something bad happened."

Trojan Hunter stopped with the message, "Access violation at address 32372C30. Read of address 32372C30."

As you can tell, it may take me a little while to respond. I don't know why everything is so slow now, but with each of the above-mentioned software scans going, I couldn't really do anything else with the computer (except watch the Task Manager or the screen saver).

I pretty much don't care what I have to do to get rid of whatever has infected my computer -- but after Katrina, I haven't got funds to spend on even "cheap" repairs or software. On the other hand, I have time and am willing to follow instructions to the letter.

Lead me: I will follow to the land of good cyberhygiene!
Old August 7th, 2006, 07:54 PM

i would try searching for the virus then using this to destroy it.
Old August 7th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

OK, since you are probably going to spend some time with Tom and the CS team to clean the PC I'm closing this one and your posts should now be made in the Cyber Safety thread.
Closed Topic