Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Topic Tools
Old August 9th, 2019, 09:01 PM

Migrate but gone

I had an old computer win 7

Using an external hard drive to migrate games from this to new computer Win 10.

I have the games on the new computer now, but the EXE files are GONE, no way to launch the games.

Also, even though I know where the games are now, if I use the Search feature on the new computer, it Does Not find the games......in fact LOTS of things that are on the new computer are NOT found by Search.

What have I done wrong?

Old August 10th, 2019, 12:49 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Most games just cannot be copied from one computer to another, you have to reinstall them. How did you migrate them over?
Old August 11th, 2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Most games just cannot be copied from one computer to another, you have to reinstall them. How did you migrate them over?
Connected an external hard drive, copied to that, then copied onto the new computer. everything else I've copied runs fine.

someone said it has to do with the registry, so I guess I need to copy the whole registry from the old machine?

I mean, I paid for these, own them. But they are from the course of years and years. Changed bank accounts, phone and email addresses. Multiple accounts with Gog and Steam, and no idea what user name or password was on all those.
Old August 11th, 2019, 04:07 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Since you paid for the games and own them, why post questions about them here, when you should be contacting the folks who took your money from you?
Old August 11th, 2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufbra View Post
Since you paid for the games and own them, why post questions about them here, when you should be contacting the folks who took your money from you?

Already said why: I can't recall the user names, or passwords of older accounts these games were purchased under.

Makes sense to me that the games would simply transfer to the new machine. Some did, some did not, missing any EXE
Old August 11th, 2019, 08:36 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
You cannot COPY a registry from one computer to another. Do it and your system will not boot up.