Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Topic Tools
Old August 4th, 2019, 08:28 PM

Manually Drag

I apologize if I forgot and already posted this.

Within Windows 10 I have folders.
The files inside can be sorted by a huge number of variables.

This does not work for me.

I wish to be able to MANUALLY drag and move individual files in a list with the mouse.

I've read that this is deliberately made impossible by Microsoft?

Old August 5th, 2019, 06:25 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauranne44 View Post
I wish to be able to MANUALLY drag and move individual files in a list with the mouse.
Nothing to stop you making sub-folders in Documents, Music or Photos so that you can highlight some files and move them into a sub-folder.

Take a look here to see one way to do that.

Be aware that you may render your computer inoperable if you go moving some of the other files around.
Old August 9th, 2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Seagoon View Post
Nothing to stop you making sub-folders in Documents, Music or Photos so that you can highlight some files and move them into a sub-folder.

Take a look here to see one way to do that.

Be aware that you may render your computer inoperable if you go moving some of the other files around.

Thank you, but that is not at all what I wanted.
For example, suppose I have a long list of music tracks. I'm uncertain in what order I want them to play once burned.

I want to be able to drag a title around, think for a moment, stare at the list, and move it again. Then move another and another, all Manually with the mouse.

My burn software, amazingly, won't allow this either. Once you send a list to it, that's it. The burn software LOCKS into alphabetical order.

The only way to change the order is to laboriously and frustratingly one by one add the songs in the order you wish them to play......

.....but once this is done, you realize one needs to move.

But you CANNOT move it without deleting the whole burn list.

INSANE.

I don't know. Maybe it's my imagination?
But seems as if software never gets Tested on REAL PEOPLE before being released?

I think what I want is software that DOES FEWER THINGS but has UNLIMITED customization.

I find software like VLC and Audacity overwhelming. Too many options.
Yes, you can, EVENTUALLY find how to do the one thing you want to do.......but I guess I'm lazy or stupid.
I don't want to have to learn to fly a jet just to be able to walk to the corner store and buy some milk.

Last edited by lauranne44; August 9th, 2019 at 07:02 AM.
Old August 9th, 2019, 09:47 AM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
what software do you use to burn with?

one way you can do this is sloppy but it will work. you can always put a number in front of the file name. This way you can arrange the files in the order you want them. could also be very time consuming if you keep rearranging them though you can cheat. if you decided to move 13 to 2, then rename the file 1a so you will not have to renumber all the files. I said it is sloppy :-)