Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

Topic Tools
Old December 25th, 2018, 04:38 AM

Question Failed Upload Question

I don't exactly know how to categorize this question.

I attempted to upload a spreadsheet that was saved on my computer to Google Sheets. The upload lagged for so long that I cancelled the process and closed Chrome completely.

Later I reopened Chrome just to check and see if there was any trace of the file listed in my Google Drive. To my relief, there was no trace of the failed upload.

I know that was pretty much an open and shut case, but I'm curious to know if anyone can tell me where lingering data disappears to when a file transfer fails. Does it go away into nowhere? Is it lingering somewhere in cache? Can prying eyes find it out in internet limbo?

Then, later, I have a question about the lag itself, but I won't clutter this thread with more than one query. Thanks for any answers.

Old December 25th, 2018, 11:29 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
It would have gone nowhere, data is sent in packets with a message sent back from the receiving device, once a packet is successfully received to the sending device saying that the packet was received OK, send the next packet.

The usual reason for a fail is that data gets corrupted and the process fails. Part packets are just meaningless data and get deleted once the acknowledgement is not correctly received.

The following link explains this in non technical language. Click here
Old December 25th, 2018, 09:47 PM
Certifiable Bum

O/S: Linux
just wanted to note that uploading will be slower than downloading, in some cases, a whole lot slower. so you really need patience.

Last edited by renegade600; December 25th, 2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old December 26th, 2018, 08:45 AM

Thanks so much for your answers. Just knowing how it works is a big relief for me.