Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Topic Tools
Old July 21st, 2019, 12:30 AM

Thumbs up Update BIOS

I have Dell Optiplex 755 with windows10 and I run SupportAssist its showing that it need two updates BIOS urgent but I heard that if you update BIOS it may cause the computer not start..
So i need your opinion to know if i should the update.?

Old July 21st, 2019, 03:48 AM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

First question before you flash the BIOS : are you currently having problems with your computer?
Old July 21st, 2019, 12:37 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
I've installed all the Dell bios updates. They install like any other update and I've had no problems with them.
I do make sure all windows are closed and I leave things alone while it's running but that's probably a leftover from the old days when an update or two hosed the system and left me with the old Windows 98 reformat/reinstall routine.
Old July 21st, 2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
but I heard that if you update BIOS it may cause the computer not start..
This is true but the odds are more likely you will win the lottery tomorrow. I couldn't tell you how many times I have flashed a BIOS in the last 15+ years. Many 100s and I have never had one fail to the point the computer would not start. Worst case was it needed an extra reboot.

I think the only time I had a flash catastrophically fail was before that and that was due a power failure right in the middle of the flash! It was an important client's machine and it was not pretty. For that reason, I always power the computer through a good UPS with AVR before flashing. With notebooks, I make sure the battery is fully charged and unplug the charger.

FTR, I typically will update the BIOS on all new builds. But after that, I follow zipulrich's philosophy and don't unless (1) the BIOS update addresses a problem I am having, (2) the BIOS update addressws a security issue (very rare) or (3) my current BIOS is corrupted (even more rare).

Most motherboard BIOS updates simply add support for new CPUs or RAM that came out after the motherboard left the factory. If I am not upgrading my CPU or RAM, I don't need to add that support.

I recommend you look at the Dell webpage for your computer and look at the description of the updates. If they don't address an issue you are having, well, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!".

If you are intent on updating, look at the timestamps for those BIOS updates. If they are yesterday, wait. If they are months or years ago, I am sure they are safe to install.

But as a precaution, simply because it is possible to brick the motherboard, even if that possibility is so remote, make sure you have backed up any data you don't want to lose. And make sure you don't have any severe weather in your area!
Old July 21st, 2019, 05:28 PM

Thumbs up

The problem I have with the computer is that it freeze sometimes , the update information is from Dell website and the software date is a few years ago.
Old July 21st, 2019, 05:40 PM

Well, unless you made other hardware changes to your system lately, it is highly unlikely your current BIOS firmware is causing your system freezes. It is much more likely something else is, like heat, or a failing power supply, failing RAM or some other component failure. Is the interior full of heat trapping dust? Are all fans spinning?