Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old March 31st, 2017, 03:13 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Question Processors

I am getting ready to upgrade my processor and notice the difference in pins On the processor.The processor I have now has 939 pins and the one that I going to put in states it has 938 pins. Is this Going to cause a problem?

Old March 31st, 2017, 04:59 PM

Mel,

Please give us more information about your system.

We will need the Make and Model Number of the Mother Board.

Go to: https://www.piriform.com/speccy
Download Speccy and run it on your system.

Then post the system report here.

Signed: Ensign Tzap
Old March 31st, 2017, 05:03 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
YES!

Different socket 938= Socket am3 938 works with Phenom II x3 triple core and the Phenom II x4 quad core and works with DDR3 memory. These are designed to work with the AM3 motherboards.

Socket 939 works with DDR memory single core/double core

And AM3 is 938 but AM3 processors can go in AM2+ sockets but definitely not 939.
Old March 31st, 2017, 08:37 PM
CTH Subscriber

Thank you for your response you answered my question. I believe the make is Dell and the motherboard model is ORY206. I was trying to go from a 2 core to 4 core processor.
Thank you again.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 10:50 PM
CTH Subscriber

Good afternoon to all. I just learned that my processor has 940 pins according to CPU-Z. My question is; is there any way possible to take the computer I have now which Has a two core processor and install a four core processor? And if I force the installment what would happen? That sounds a little crazy.
Old April 4th, 2017, 03:51 AM

YES, THAT SOUNDS CRAZY!

Mel,
If you know the Dell Mother Board can only take a 2-Core Processor.
Then it doesn't matter how many pin socket it is.
It won't work for you.

If you want to use a multi-core processor.
Your better off getting a New Mother Board with a matching Multi-Core Processor,
Memory Sticks, Video Card, a Hard Drive{HDD or SSD}, Case & Power Supply, and a 64-bit OS.
Or....
Buy a complete system that comes pre-loaded with a 64-bit OS.

Old March 6th, 2018, 03:41 PM
CTH Subscriber

Thank you guys for your input I have to do a little more research have a good day
Old March 10th, 2018, 04:22 PM

As stated the Dell ORY206 motherboard will only take:

Socket AM2 AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core, Athlon 64 Sempron, also Dell is proprietary and their BIOS in that motherboard will not support the 4 cores. Yes a AM2 and AM2+ socket has 940 pins.

Socket AM2 contains 940 pins—the same number that Socket 940 uses—Socket AM2 is designed to support the integrated dual-channel DDR2 memory controllers that were added to the Athlon 64 and Opteron processor families in 2006. Processors designed for Sockets 754, 939, and 940 include DDR memory controllers and are not pin compatible with Socket AM2. Sockets 939, 940, and AM2 support HyperTransport v2.0, which limits most processors to a 1 GHz FSB.

Your only choice if you want to upgrade the processor is change the motherboard.

Also your existing memory is DDR2 (dual Channel), you probably have DDR2 PC2-6400 which is 240pin memory. So if you want to reuse make sure the new motherboard will use it.
Old March 10th, 2018, 04:50 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
As stated the Dell ORY206 motherboard will only take:

Socket AM2 AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core, Athlon 64 Sempron, also Dell is proprietary and their BIOS in that motherboard will not support the 4 cores. Yes a AM2 and AM2+ socket has 940 pins.

Socket AM2 contains 940 pins—the same number that Socket 940 uses—Socket AM2 is designed to support the integrated dual-channel DDR2 memory controllers that were added to the Athlon 64 and Opteron processor families in 2006. Processors designed for Sockets 754, 939, and 940 include DDR memory controllers and are not pin compatible with Socket AM2. Sockets 939, 940, and AM2 support HyperTransport v2.0, which limits most processors to a 1 GHz FSB.

Your only choice if you want to upgrade the processor is change the motherboard.

Also your existing memory is DDR2 (dual Channel), you probably have DDR2 PC2-6400 which is 240pin memory. So if you want to reuse make sure the new motherboard will use it.
thank you Murph I do understand that and I will be sticking with a AMD Athlon dual core 4000+ 2.1GHz processor but I am going to try to upgrade it to a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3 GHz Dual-Core CPU Processor ADA6000IAA6CZ Socket AM2 2MB 89W .Do you think I would have a problem with this upgrade?They are both AM2 sockets and I have upgraded my RAM with six gigs of RAM but the computer only recognizes three gigs of RAM and seems to be working.
Let me again thank you for your time you guys have helped me out a lot.
Old March 10th, 2018, 05:13 PM

6 gigs wasted money, Windows 32bit will only recognize 4gb of memory and actually only about 3.25gb of memory, to recognize more than 4gb you need a 64 bit version of windows. Also that motherboard will only take 4gb memory so no matter how much you put in it will not go above 4gb, even with a 64bit windows.

That processor will work, but you may need to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...iverId=R172546

To check which version you have now:

Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Information
System Summary screen will come up, look at BIOS Version/Date
also
Start->Help and Support->Computer Information->Detailed Computer Information

Version 1.0.8 is the latest.
Old March 10th, 2018, 05:34 PM
CTH Subscriber

Morning Murph thanks for answering so quickly. I'm looking for bios updates before I put the new processor in. There again I might also install the 64-bit Windows 7 don't really know much trouble That will give me.
Do you know much about reimaging software. I did it once on my computer Hard drives had it saved and had the use it to get my system back to normal. But in the process lost a few files. Question; am I supposed to reimage my hard drives Hard drives like I do my backup once a month or After a major change to the system?

Last edited by mel3986; March 10th, 2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old March 12th, 2018, 02:54 PM
CTH Subscriber

processor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
6 gigs wasted money, Windows 32bit will only recognize 4gb of memory and actually only about 3.25gb of memory, to recognize more than 4gb you need a 64 bit version of windows. Also that motherboard will only take 4gb memory so no matter how much you put in it will not go above 4gb, even with a 64bit windows.

That processor will work, but you may need to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...iverId=R172546

To check which version you have now:

Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Information
System Summary screen will come up, look at BIOS Version/Date
also
Start->Help and Support->Computer Information->Detailed Computer Information

Version 1.0.8 is the latest.
good morning Murph, I managed to update my bios but I ended up with 2009 version 1.0.13. Do you see a problem with this. My computer seems to run a little faster. I download some software which gives me temperatures on the system and so far on my processor I've notice on the max output 150° so far. I didn't realize how hot it gets in their. I have also noticed that my megahertz are running at Max 2110 MHz when I'm online surfing the net. Could you give me an idea what the max temp on a processor and at what temperature will it be destroyed?
Old March 13th, 2018, 03:12 PM

my processor I've notice on the max output 150° Fahrenheit is about 65* Celsius which is about the MAX temp. It is running too hot.

Don't know which software you downloaded but a good one is CPU-Z, also in your BIOS setup it may tell you the temp, under one of the headings in there.

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Click on Download (The latest version is Speedfan 4.52.)

Once downloaded double click the desktop icon and you will end up seeing something like this:

If your processor is in fact running about 65* Celsius then it is too hot. You either need to clean the case out, or the thermal paste on the processor is bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speedfan.JPG (63.1 KB, 1 views)
Old March 13th, 2018, 04:16 PM

I agree with Murf,

That is TOO HOT!

I'm not familiar with with the Dell BIO's.
But see if you can go reset it to the Default Settings.

Because this sounds like you may have accidentally OverClocked the CPU.

OverClocking the CPU should only be done, if you have also upgraded the CPU Heatsink & Fan.
So, it can handle the extra heat that the CPU is making from OverClocking it.

If it is already at the Default Settings, and it is still running too HOT.
Then like Murf said
Quote:
You either need to clean the case out, or the thermal paste on the processor is bad.

Old March 14th, 2018, 01:41 PM
CTH Subscriber

Thank you for answering I will try all the things you suggested see if I can get the temp down. I got my new processor in yesterday I might put it in tomorrow that'll rule out about the bad thermal paste. I'll give it a good cleaning before change out processors and as far as the temperatures I think I misquoted. There is minimum and maximum temp and I quoted the maximum temp the actual temp was going up and down around the one 115°F right now that was on number one core and about 90°F on number two core.

As far as what I downloaded to monitor the temp so my system it came from CPUID HWMonitor
I'll keep you updated. Thank you again for all your help talk to you guys later have a good day

Last edited by mel3986; March 14th, 2018 at 01:46 PM.