Notices

Topic Tools
Old March 29th, 2018, 05:12 PM

You too.

Old March 30th, 2018, 06:09 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Good afternoon there,

I don't know if this is the correct form to ask this question; in the process of upgrading my system and and installing Microsoft updates could reach a point that the updates will fill a drive? Can you over update?
Old March 30th, 2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Can you over update?
No. Updating is essential to keep your system secure.

Note that Windows is pretty good at tidying up after updates. But it does not do so immediately. It keeps old copies around for at least 30 days, just in case you need to roll back if something goes wrong.

If everything works fine and you have a windows.old folder on your drive you can delete that, or just wait and Windows will eventually delete it for you.

You can also run Windows own Disk Cleanup to clean out the clutter. Be sure to click on "Clean up system files". Disk Cleanup with restart, then click on "Windows Update Cleanup" to clean up old Update files.

But understand this may only be a temporary solution. If you are running low on disk space and need to regularly clean out the clutter so Windows has enough space to operate in, you need to do something more permanent.

If necessary, go through Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstall any programs you installed that you don't use.

Note you will sometimes hear people say you need to keep a certain "percentage" of your disk free. That is hogwash! You do, however, need to keep enough free space for Windows to operate freely in. That is, enough free space to open up files, temporarily save temporary files, for the Page File to operate in, and more. And that amount is about 20 - 30GB and that is regardless the size of the disk. If it went by % and you had a 2 or 3TB disk, you could be wasting 100s of GBs of disk space and that's just silly, and a waste of money.

If you still have not freed up enough space by cleaning out the clutter and uninstalling unused programs, you really need to buy more space.
Old March 30th, 2018, 07:24 PM
CTH Subscriber

Okay fellows this 49 posting on this thread. Is a second time I get this. Is this spam allowed on your web on your website? How do you delete it?
Old March 30th, 2018, 07:43 PM
CTH Subscriber

Good afternoon Digerati,

Thank you for informing me about the way Microsoft handles updates did not know they would delete them after 30 days. As far as for free space goes, I almost have one terabyte of free space between the three drives. So basically I shouldn't wary about running out of room with all updates.

Thank you again for all the information suggestions and help. I don't know if this ends this thread. Or as long as I have problems which we covered on this thread to keep using this thread ? If I should have a different problem I should go to a different form?

You have a good afternoon.
Old March 30th, 2018, 07:47 PM

Yes, that is spam and I reported it. It will be gone soon. Note that little triangle icon next to the post # is how you report it.
Old March 30th, 2018, 08:46 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
ALL GONE he is banned.....Thx for reporting it.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 10:08 PM
CTH Subscriber

Good afternoon guys,

just a little update, been having trouble with my graphic card. After researching it for hours and getting no results that would fix the problem I decided to uninstalling all the components which came with the graphic card. After that I Still having blackouts or what it said AMD display driver is not responding. So I finally disabled the graphic card and had no blackouts since. It's in over five hours hours since I disabled graphic card which is good.

With the new processor and new OS everything seems to be working right I'm going to leave it at that for now.

And again I thank you guys for all the input, suggestions and help I don't think I could go through this alone. Have a good afternoon.
Old April 4th, 2018, 04:03 PM

Well, without going back over the 4 pages of this thread, it is important to note the GPU (main graphics processor) is often most power hungry devices in our computers. So it is important to ensure the power supply is fully capable of supporting the card as well as the remaining components. So before hooking it up again, verify your PSU can support the load.
Old April 4th, 2018, 05:52 PM
CTH Subscriber

Good afternoon Digerati,

yeah, I think this graphic card was push my PSU over the limit. So that's why I disabled it. Until I get a new PSU hopefully 400 W. Still looking for name brand purchase. I hear some of those PSU's are motherboard killers. Any suggestions?

Question; can a program by itself change things or alter them to a point that there inoperable? Reason I ask I have this speech to text software. Every time I think I have it under control, somehow it changes. So I have to go back to the beginning and look for cause. Could there be outside influences working here? When this happens I get different kinds of error messages. One error message says to do this, nowhere message says do the opposite and another error messages says they couldn't open because it is open in another program.

Love to hear your thoughts on this. You have a good afternoon

Last edited by mel3986; April 4th, 2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old April 4th, 2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I hear some of those PSU's are motherboard killers. Any suggestions?
Motherboard killers? Any PSU that fails catastrophically can take out anything connected to it. Even the best from the best.

I like EVGA and Seasonic. I recommend you get one that is 80 PLUS, at least Bronze - Gold if the budget allows.

Use the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator to determine your minimum and recommended power supply unit (PSU) requirements. Plan ahead and plug in all the hardware you think you might have in 2 or 3 years. This might include extra hard drives, a bigger or 2nd video card, more RAM, etc. I recommend setting Computer Utilization to 16 hours per day and CPU Utilization to 100%. These steps adjust for capacitor aging and ensure the supply has adequate head room for stress free (and perhaps quieter) operation. These steps also add a little buffer for unplanned future upgrades or added hardware demands.
Quote:
Question; can a program by itself change things or alter them to a point that there inoperable?
Not unless corrupt, or infected.
Old April 4th, 2018, 06:21 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
Motherboard killers? Any PSU that fails catastrophically can take out anything connected to it. Even the best from the best.

I like EVGA and Seasonic. I recommend you get one that is 80 PLUS, at least Bronze - Gold if the budget allows.

Use the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator to determine your minimum and recommended power supply unit (PSU) requirements. Plan ahead and plug in all the hardware you think you might have in 2 or 3 years. This might include extra hard drives, a bigger or 2nd video card, more RAM, etc. I recommend setting Computer Utilization to 16 hours per day and CPU Utilization to 100%. These steps adjust for capacitor aging and ensure the supply has adequate head room for stress free (and perhaps quieter) operation. These steps also add a little buffer for unplanned future upgrades or added hardware demands.
Not unless corrupt, or infected.
Thank you for replying so quickly

I will look at your suggestions for PSU and I have gone to the Watts calculator and basically it says I need a 350 W PSU, so for now a 400 Watt Will be the size I will be looking for.

As far as for my question. I had to restore to a earlier date to get My Speech to text software working again.
You have a good afternoon

Last edited by mel3986; April 4th, 2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old April 6th, 2018, 11:33 PM
CTH Subscriber

Good evening gentlemen,

well I purchased my PSU and it's a EVGA 80PLUS 450 W it was a good price. I also used your Watts calculator; now it's telling me I was using 183 W. Doesn't matter I needed to upgrade the PSU to rule out other problems.

And as far as the graphic card I went to uninstall it after it was uninstalled a new program was installed with a different series number of the graphic card. And has not black out yet. Which leads me to believe that some of the components which I downloaded for the graphic cards might've been given me the problem. We'll see how long this will last.

Question; is there a website where I can find the specs on my motherboard?
Old April 7th, 2018, 12:22 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
That is an excellent PSU. I don't trust those wattage calculators.

Appears the drivers for the card were corrupted, happens all the time.

Your manual

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...on-531/manuals
Old April 7th, 2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I don't trust those wattage calculators.
The eXtreme calc is the only one I trust. They have a staff on hand constantly researching components and updating their databases.

It is important to note whether you do the research or they do the research, we all have to rely on the specs published by the hardware makers, unless we have the specific parts in front of us, and know how to properly measure consumptions. So if the CPU says it has a TPD of 65W, that's all we can go on.

To properly calculate your power needs, you have to research and add up EVERYTHING! That includes the motherboard, the specific CPU, the specific graphics solution, number and type of RAM sticks, size and number of fans, number, speed and type drives, connected USB devices that get power through the USB port, and more.

The eXtreme PSU calculator will do all that legwork and math for you - without trying to sell you something that is way overkill.

Note that all PSU calculators pad the results because the last they want to do is underestimate your needs and recommend an underpowered supply. Sadly, many go too far. I like the eXtreme PSU calculator because it is the most conservative in its estimates, and it is the most flexible, giving users the most extensive lists of component choices of any calculator. And if you don't see your device listed, a quick email to them will take care of that - at least with current hardware.

Most users would be totally shocked at how little power their systems actually use. I bet that 183W is actually high!

Note decent UPSs come with information display panels and/or software that will tell you how much power connected devices are consuming.

So for example, I have in this computer, a full ATX motherboard, Intel i5-6600 3.3GHz CPU pushed to 3.9GHz, 2 x 8GB RAM, GTX-1050Ti 4GB graphics, and 2 SSDs. And, as I type this my UPS is reporting I am consuming just 123W. BUT - note that is also with my wireless router, cable modem and TWO 24 inch monitors attached!

How do I know that is correct? Because I also have a Kill-A-Watt meter that I have used to verify the accuracy of the UPS monitoring stats.

Note this power hungry Intel i7-7700K processor consumes a maximum of just 91W when under maximum load.

Most graphics cards draw a maximum of 75W because that is the maximum allowed through the PCIe slot. If using integrated graphics, the demand is through the CPU and motherboard and is much less than 75W.

And the GPU and CPU are, by far, the most power hungry devices in our systems.

Not only that, it is very rare for both CPU and GPU to be maxed out, let alone at the very same point in time.

List of CPU Power Dissipation figures.