Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

Topic Tools
Old February 18th, 2020, 12:28 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Post New Computer

Hi all been awhile since I been on this great site.
I am looking to buy a new computer that I can not bog down with CPU usage. This one I am on now I built about 7 years ago. I did a good job and it's served me well but it's so slow now. I now have security cameras and when I turn them on the CPU zips to 100 and everything wants to go to a stop or crawl. My internet provider I'm sure doesn't help but actually it's not too bad as long as I don't load the cameras.

Since I don't want to build another one I need recommendations on what I need to get that will not use up all the CPU. I also need to know how do you like Win10. I'm running Win7 and love it. So tell me what brand and what I need to look for to buy.

Old February 18th, 2020, 01:06 AM

For what it's worth Win10 is vastly superior to Win7.

You can get some good propriety brand computers with fast processors, plenty of RAM and SSD. Should do the trick for you, take a look at something you could afford, it will be far better than anything you could build and it will have a warranty.
Old February 18th, 2020, 05:11 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnew View Post
I also need to know how do you like Win10. I'm running Win7 and love it. So tell me what brand and what I need to look for to buy.
I have had Windows 10 for almost a year, and I hate it! Before this I had Windows 7 and I wish I still have it. With W10 there's so many "little" nagging faults with it. For example when saving image files or for that matter any file within a folder, if there's duplicate named files it was so easy to correct in W7 with W10 there's that much more to do, why they could have just left it as it was, is beyond me. Also when opening a folder which contains a lot of files, it takes a while to open that folder, whereas with W7 the folders would open fully, instantly. Just getting around W10 seems that much more difficult, than other Windows Os's. I suggest your keeping W7 for as long as possible.
Old February 18th, 2020, 09:15 PM

I'll admit that Win 7 is good for Luddites, but as I no longer use that and as Win 7 is no longer supported, Win 10 is the best option. I've not had any problems and it really is faster.

I use the 64 bit version.
Old February 18th, 2020, 11:23 PM

Thank you Ned but I still need some figures because I don't have a clue what to look for anymore. I'm just not into trying to figure it out. Or give me a link to what you think might be a good one

Last edited by Idnew; February 18th, 2020 at 11:30 PM.
Old February 18th, 2020, 11:27 PM

Hi lufbra ugh didn't have to tell me that, was hoping the bugs would be worked out of 10 before I had to get it. I'm sure all new ones have win 10, now my daughter says she hasn't any problem with it. I still need to know what I need to buy though that won't bog down with me regardless of what os it has
Old February 19th, 2020, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Thank you Ned but I still need some figures because I don't have a clue what to look for anymore. I'm just not into trying to figure it out. Or give me a link to what you think might be a good one
This is the one I have https://www.dell.com/en-au/shop/dell...-aio/c210910au and it's excellent, but I don't have security cameras and I know nothing about them.

Take a look thru the specs and see if it will do what you need.

Remember Win7 is no longer supported so if you wish to use a Microsoft operating system you will need a Win10 machine.
Old February 19th, 2020, 04:33 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Seagoon View Post
I'll admit that Win 7 is good for Luddites, but as I no longer use that and as Win 7 is no longer supported, Win 10 is the best option. I've not had any problems and it really is faster.

I use the 64 bit version.
Just because it's not supported, doesn't mean W7 can't be used. There are folks who still use WXP, and have no problems. Since being a Member of this forum since the day it started I don't recall anyone ever posting about how their PC operating system was ruined because it wasn't supported by Microsoft. In fact I don't ever recall even reading about such things happening. Just because an OS isn't being supported, doesn't mean we have to change to the latest OS.
Old February 19th, 2020, 05:45 PM

Agree I have one machine that still has XP on it, granted I don't use it for much but just hated to give up XP, but then on two others I have Win7 and totally happy with them. No if I can find one with Win7 that would suit my needs I would get it
Old February 19th, 2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Seagoon View Post
This is the one I have https://www.dell.com/en-au/shop/dell...-aio/c210910au and it's excellent, but I don't have security cameras and I know nothing about them.

Take a look thru the specs and see if it will do what you need.

Remember Win7 is no longer supported so if you wish to use a Microsoft operating system you will need a Win10 machine.
Yikes for that price it should handle just about anything. Is that a desktop or laptop? I'm looking for a desktop
Old February 19th, 2020, 06:28 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

Here you go: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbish...luded/43919991

Comes with 8GB of memory, but pack it with 16GB and for under 300 it'll do everything you need. You're welcome
Old February 19th, 2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Yikes for that price it should handle just about anything. Is that a desktop or laptop? I'm looking for a desktop
It's in all in one and yes I expect it will handle just about anything.
Old February 19th, 2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufbra View Post
Just because it's not supported, doesn't mean W7 can't be used. There are folks who still use WXP, and have no problems. Since being a Member of this forum since the day it started I don't recall anyone ever posting about how their PC operating system was ruined because it wasn't supported by Microsoft. In fact I don't ever recall even reading about such things happening. Just because an OS isn't being supported, doesn't mean we have to change to the latest OS.

Windows 7

Last edited by Ned Seagoon; February 19th, 2020 at 11:11 PM.
Old February 20th, 2020, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipulrich View Post
Here you go: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbish...luded/43919991

Comes with 8GB of memory, but pack it with 16GB and for under 300 it'll do everything you need. You're welcome
Wow and 1 TB I'd never use. I got a 500 now and plenty of space. In my old age I've cut back on a lot of stuff I used to choke my pc down with. So the Intel Core i5 Processor is the processor to get in one. I'm not HP fond because I've never had good luck with them, but that's a good price. I think I only have about 3gb of Ram
Old February 20th, 2020, 03:27 AM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

For your needs, I think that PC will be just fine.

BTW, how's Wendy?